Virginia City Highlands Property Owners Association

Minutes – Monthly Meeting, Tuesday September 12, 2006

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room – 7:00 p.m.

 

Present:  Bill Lewis, Mike Lupo, Rita Lumos, Mary Tallent-Stewart

Absent:  Debra Gravenstein

 

I.    Call to order, declaration of a quorum and approval of meeting agenda

President Lumos called the meeting to order at 7:10 and declared a quorum             present.

 

II.   Approve minutes of August 8, 2006 regular meeting

-        A motion was made by Lewis with a second by Tallent-Stewart to approve the

minutes of the August 8, 2006 meeting, unanimously approved.

 

III.  Financial Statements (Discussion/Action)

A.    Monthly Cash Report

B.    Monthly Financial Statements

 

Lydia Hammack reviewed the financial reports, statements and special assessment figures.  There were $2,657.56 in disbursements and $20,625.16 in receipts.  Estimated expenditures for September were $4,717.11 which will include payment for the repair/update to the rental house at the fire station.  There were no road expenses this past month.  Balance as of September 12, 2006 in the operating account of $33,074.35 and in the reserve account is $52,396.75.

-        A motion was made by Lewis, with a second by Tallent-Stewart to

the financial reports as submitted, unanimously approved.

 

IV.  Public Comments

        Deputy Mendoza from the Storey County Sheriff’s Department was guest speaker at

        this meeting and invited all attendees to participate in the Citizens Academy, a

        program put on by volunteers and the Sheriff’s Department with the objective of

        familiarizing local citizens with the duties of the Department.  Topics include patrol

        procedures, emergency communications, how 911 call system functions, domestic

        violence, DUI and report writing.  There will be classes held on these and other

        topics.  In order to attend the classes you must be a U.S. Citizen, have a

        background check performed, fill out the application (handed out at this meeting)

        and there is no age limit.  Target start date is September 20th and at least eleven

        volunteers are needed and they will take up to fifty.  Classes will be held at the

        firehouse.  The program was very successful in Lockwood and Deputy Mendoza

        stated that Storey County has the best police and fire protection per capata in the

        state.  Applications can be faxed or mailed.  For more information call 847-0950

        and ask for Ken.  Rita Lumos suggested that Deputy Mendoza contact the

        webmaster and post on the website. 

 

 

V.    Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108(3))

        A representative from the Nevada Rock Art Foundation stated that they would be

        conducting an archeological project form 9/18/06-10/15/06 at the petroglyphs site

        in Lagomarsino canyon.  They will be photographing and mapping the site, placing

        more signs and a visitor register.  The County Commissioners approved the special

        use permit.  This special site has been subject to prior vandalism and she requested

        that if anyone sees such activity to call the Sheriff’s office and report it.

 

VI.   Committee Reports

A.    Architectural Committee

Bill Lewis reported that the Committee reviewed one set of house plans, one

set of plans for an addition and one carport.  Everything is running smoothly

and not as hectic due to the housing market downturn.

 

B.    Road Report

There will be personnel changes in this department.  Robert Moore has agreed

 to take on the responsibility as Road Manager and will follow Richard

Wooley’s road plan.  A motion was made by Bill Lewis to appoint Mr. Moore as Road Manager.  Second by Mary Tallent-Stewart, all in favor. It was recommended that Workers Compensation insurance be carried for any employees working for the association due to the liability involved.  There will be a meeting at Rita Lumos’ house September 19th to discuss and review the work that needs to be done this coming year in the road plan and get estimates for the work.  The road materials for suggested use have been used in mines and also used to stabilize base around Washoe County.  Rita suggested that Bob take a class coming up given by the Highway Department on October 9th regarding roadway drainage.  The cost is $50.  Motion by Mike Lupo with a second by Bill Lewis, all in favor. 

 

Three people have volunteered for road snow removal.  Bob Moore will need to meet with these individuals to get prepared for the coming winter and because the equipment also needs to be checked and maintenance done.  Mike Lupo inquired at what depth does the snow need to be removed.  3-4 inches is the starting point for plowing.  The NOAA website is a valuable resource for specific location weather conditions.  Two-way radios have been installed in the plow trucks.  It was suggested that more signage could possibly be needed regarding road conditions in the Highlands.

 

C.    Insurance

Lydia Hammack is working with the insurance agent for the Association to consolidate coverage.  Insurance for the four vehicles totals approximately $8,185.  Raising the deductable to $1000 would save about $2,500.  She will have firm figures at the next HOA meeting.  Budgeted amount for package insurance is $20,000, actual expense is aroung $16,000.  It was discussed that the Association may be able to consolidate building coverage on the mail box structures with the 10-acre association.  Mike Lupo suggested that the cost of insuring them versus replacement cost be reviewed.  Bill Lewis suggested that the replacement cost on the rental house at the fire station be reviewed and increased from $100,000 currently on the policy.

 

D.    Rental House

The rental house flooring, carpets and toilets have been replace and the place has been cleaned.  The new tenants will do the painting.  The chimney cap needs to be put on.  Walk through is completed and the background check and references check has been done on the new tenants and all with good review.  Phyllis Blake suggested using the professional 5-page lease agreement this time.  Rent has been set at $1,000 per month plus a security deposit.

 

VII.          New Business

A.    Any other matters which the Board members wish to discuss

The MYOB accounting software currently being used is cumbersome.  A transition to QuickBooks accounting software is planned by Lydia Hammack.  A motion to approve this transition was made by Bill Lewis with a second by Mike Lupo, all in favor.  Completion of the transition is targeted by the first of the new year.

 

B.    There will be ombudsman seminars on coming Saturdays from 9-12

called “Organizing and Planning in Your Community”.  Rita has more information.

 

VIII.        Executive Session to discuss possible violation of CC&R’s

Motion by Mary Tallent-Stewart with second by Bill Lewis to adjourn the regular meeting and go into executive session, approved unanimously.

 

There is a possible violation regarding a cinder block retaining wall, not approved by the Architectural Committee.  The owner has been notified and has not responded or shown at that meeting.  Rita Lumos will send a certified letter indicating a fine is in order if there is no response to the letter.

 

A car is partially in the roadway on Grizzly and has not been moved since January.  Mike Lupo suggested that we contact the Sheriff and see if he will contact or try to find out who the owner might be and have the car moved.

 

IX.            Adjourn

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:50 p.m..

 

Respectfully submitted

 

 

Mary Tallent-Stewart

Secretary