Virginia City Highlands Property Owners Association

Minutes – Monthly Meeting, Tuesday October 10, 2006

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room – 7:00 p.m.

 

Present:  Bill Lewis, Mike Lupo, Rita Lumos, Mary Tallent-Stewart

                Debra Gravenstein

 

I.    Call to order, declaration of a quorum and approval of meeting agenda

President Lumos called the meeting to order at 7:02 and declared a quorum             present.

 

II.   Approve minutes of September 12, 2006 regular meeting

-        A motion was made by Lewis with a second by Tallent-Stewart to approve the

minutes of the September 12, 2006 meeting, unanimously approved.

 

III.  Financial Statements (Discussion/Action)

A.    Monthly Cash Report

B.    Monthly Financial Statements

 

Lydia Hammack reviewed the financial reports, statements and special assessment figures.  Lydia revised the September reports and October estimated figures are $35, 828.29 in checking and $71,029.03 in reserve.  Copies of the reports are on file.  Lydia compiled a chart of accounts for transaction to QuickBooks and will have the CPA review them.  She found a shortcut spreadsheet on Excel from the Storey County Assessor tax role and is revising it to update current owners.  It should be set up for 12/1 dues billing cycle.  Special assessment funds are almost all collected.

-        A motion was made by Lewis, with a second by Tallent-Stewart to

the financial reports as submitted, unanimously approved.

 

IV.  Public Comments

        None to report

 

V.    Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108(3))

         None to report

 

VI.   Committee Reports

A.    Architectural Committee

No new plans were submitted.  A sample of rock was submitted for the cinder block wall that has been a violation.  The owner came to this last meeting.

 

B.    Road Report

Bob Moore has inventoried the existing equipment, shed, yard and cleaned up the place.  There are vehicles that shouldn’t be there, used oil in drums that needs disposal but he may have found a place in Virginia City to take it.  The grader is in good shape but has two small leaks.  The water truck needs batteries and a clutch, a quote for $1800 was received but he may be able to split some of the expense with the fire department because they also use the vehicle.  Water has to come from Virginia City for the truck and  so a permit has to be obtained for the travel to VC and back.  A permit is good for 5 years.  Bob will check with the DMV.  Rita will have Bob check with Lydia because she was going to get it registered soon.  The 10-acre association rents a water truck at $900 per day.  The Dodge plow truck #2 has a leaky gas tank and needs to be replaced.  #1 truck is in good shape although the batteries were in need of replacement but were under warranty and should have the alternator checked.  He is also working on the sander operation.  Bob did a personal drive of all roads in the 1-acre parcels and all need improvements.  $90,000 is budgeted for spring maintenance/improvements.  Grading can be done now but some roads have no material to work with.  Culverts are needed.  White stakes mark where culverts are located and Rita will schedule a backhoe for ditches and the culvert work.  It was determined that the front loader is not efficient and too large to load the road sander.  All vehicles need service.

 

A letter was received on the road impact fee.  The assessment was voted on by the Board and invoiced.  No materials have been applied to the road where the writer of this letter lives.  210 feet of road in the Bonanza and Calaveras area needs material badly.  Bob Moore will address the issue immediately.

 

A letter was received from Debra Gravenstein regarding the road plan and how it benefits people that are not in phase one of the plan.  She lives in a remote area and says she has seen the grader maybe three times.  It was discussed that the road plan called for extensive reconstruction on the most traveled roads first and then the less traveled but all will be addressed to some extent immediately.  She explained that there are folks who are tired of paying special assessments and getting nothing for it.  Discussion ensued regarding the road plan and how all roads should be taken care of.  Phase 1 of the plan was adopted at the annual meeting in 2006 and Phases 2 and 3 were not.  There is major concern that those phases will not be finished.  It was suggested that the Board levy special assessments for the next two years to fund Phases 2 and 3.  Further discussion will take place at the next meeting.

 

C.    Insurance

Everything that can be consolidated in the policies has been and the association should receive a refund for approximately $1,478 but it is being held pending a quote for worker’s compensation insurance for employees.  Cost for the insurance at this time is $7,048 for the buildings, $163.53 for the loader, $8,227 for the vehicles.  The rental house is underinsured and Bill Lewis suggested that the value be increased.  Minimum replacement cost should be between $150k and $200k.  A motion to increase the insurance to the minimum limites was made by Debra Gravenstein with a second from Bill Lewis.  All in favor

 

 

           D.  Documents

        Keith tried to contact Ombudsman with no luck.  He has gathered documents

        from HOA’s in the state and drafted a questionnaire and there will be a

        mailing of dues in November with the questionnaire asking for feedback.

        Notices will be at the mailboxes soliciting comments.  We need 50% of the

        homeowners in the Highlands voting in favor of any changes to the CCR’s.

        There may be a legal way out to lower the criteria.  A future public meeting

        will be set.

 

 

VII.          New Business

A.    Ray Robbins and volunteers want to paint the mailboxes or stain them.  He has provided a written plan and it will cost $595.29.  There is an electrical problem with a bad circuit and lights being out in the south building.  Keith suggested that the 10-acre association pay for 40% of the stain.  A motion was made by Bill Lewis for approval of the cost of the project.  A second was made by Mary Tallent-Stewart.  All in favor.

B.    Mary Tallent-Stewart suggested that a Highlands cleanup day be scheduled due to all the trash built up in ditches.  Rita suggested November 4th from 10-2.  We will post signs at the mailboxes and on the website.

 

VIII.        Executive Session to discuss possible violation of CC&R’s

Motion by Mary Tallent-Stewart with second by Bill Lewis to adjourn the regular meeting and go into executive session, approved unanimously.

The owner of the house with the cinder block retaining wall that was not approved by the architectural committee came to this meeting.  He had complaints regarding clogged culverts at his house and other issued with the association.  He read the CCR’s and realizes the errors in not going to the Board for prior approval.  His yard washes away when it rains and he feels the wall is necessary.  Rita explained the CCR’s and the necessity for following the rules as it benefits everyone.  After much discussion the owner and the Board came to a satisfactory conclusion.  Rock will be placed over the wall exterior to conform with requirements.

 

IX.            Adjourn

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:00 p.m..

 

Respectfully submitted

 

 

Mary Tallent-Stewart

Secretary