Virginia City Highlands Property Owners Association

Minutes – Monthly Meeting, Tuesday December 12, 2006

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room – 7:00 p.m.

 

Present:  Bill Lewis,  Rita Lumos, Mary Tallent-Stewart

                Abesnt:  Debra Gravenstein, Mike Lupo

 

I.    Call to order, declaration of a quorum and approval of meeting agenda

President Lumos called the meeting to order at 7:03 and declared a quorum             present.

 

II.   Approve minutes of November 14, 2006 regular meeting

Minutes reviewed and motion made by Bill Lewis to approve the minutes with a second by Rita Lumos.  Motion carries.

 

III.  Financial Statements (Discussion/Action)

A.    Monthly Cash Report

B.    Monthly Financial Statements

Lydia Hammack was absent at this meeting.  President Lumos discussed the October and November reports.  Road improvement expenditures have been paid from the operating fund and funds will need to be transferred from the reserve account to cover them.  Balance in operating fund is $20,800 and there are dues still coming in.  2nd notices went out and $4,000 in late fees have been charged.  These funds will go into the operating fund.  We are under budget on administrative expenses and insurance expense.  The remaining money collected from the special assessment will be allocated to the reserve fund.  Expenses this month were $10,277, receipts were $12,480.   Balance in checking is $17,706.20 and $124,760 in the reserve.  Bill Lewis made a motion to approve the financials as submitted with a second by Mary Tallent-Stewart.  Motion carried.

 

IV.  Public Comments

            Several residents were concerned about the log cabin on Cartwright that has not

            been completed and has sat vacant for a number of months.  Bill Lewis will check

            when the plans were submitted and see if a year has past. 

            A resident on the corner of Saddleback and Flint is concerned about the deep hole

            at the end of the new culvert that was placed there.  His house number sign was

            also knocked down in the process.  Bob Moore will check into it.

            A resident on Sazarac has an issue with the ditches being filled in, thus creating a

            problem with drainage going into her driveway.  This has created an issue where

            culvert isn’t working properly.  Bob Moore and Rita Lumos will check into it to

            see if the problem can be resolved.

 

V.    Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108(3))

            None to report

 

VI.   Committee Reports

A.    Architectural Committee

One application for a fence was received by the Committee

 

B.    Road Report

Six culverts were ordered for Calaveras, Sazarac/Dortort, Bonanza/Liberty, Flint/Saddleback.  Bob has ordered six more.  The GMC plow truck was worked on and all three plow trucks are ready for use.  The water truck was also repaired.   Rock was placed in the ditches along Sazarac.  Bob Moore met with Neil Melton and reviewed snowplowing procedures.  Bob and Gabriel checked the roads for material.  Bob returned three radios in the yard shed to the Storey County Fire Department.  The plow drivers will use walkie-talkies.  This past month the road crew spend cleaning ditches and replace a large culvert at Sazarac and Empire.  There is a situation on Pinenut Road where there is a house sale closing and the road to it needs work and material put in.  The cost is about $1,835 for material and grading.  A motion was made by Mary Tallent-Stewart to commence with the road work, a second was made by Bill Lewis.  Motion carries.  The equipment yard has been cleaned out and D & L from Moundhouse will come to pick up the items.  The association received the final payment on a plow truck that was sold to a resident.  A complaint was received by a multiple lot owner on Sazarac/Silverado of drainage issues.  Rita has photos showing that this culvert needs to be there and this is a major natural drainage.  Rita will speak with the owner about it.

 

         C.   Documents

       Keith put together a questionairre and it was mailed with the dues notices.  30

       responses have been received.  22 of those responding said that the amount of

       dues should be set to cover the annual budget.   On the CCR amendment issue     

       some favor a simple majority with 30% paricipation of voters.  The plan is to

       meet in January when more responses are received and can be tabulated.

 

                No Park Report this meeting.

 

VII.          Old Business

A.  Mailbox Maintenance

The mail boxes were painted although some trim is not yet finished.  They look good.  The 10 acre association has not been billed yet.  Some lights in the buildings are out again and Bill Lewis suggested that we have an electrician install high density fixtures.  Mary Tallent-Stewart made a motion to have the electrical fixtures replaced with a second by Bill Lewis.  Motion carries.  The 10 acre association will be billed for half.

                

      VIII.    New Business

A.    Any Other Matters Which The Board Members Wish To Discuss

Rita received a ruling from the State of Nevada on an issue of a complaint that past president Wooley addressed over a year ago.  The State determined that No NRS 116 was violated and there was no evidence to support allegations regarding the old architecural fee structure.  A resident noted that there were several old rusty culverts across State Route 341 on the west side that were just laying there.  Bob Moore will investigate.  A motion was made by Bill Lewis to adjourn to executive session.  A second was made by Mary Tallent-Stewart.

 

IX.            Executive session to discuss possible violation of CCR’s

A resident on Adobe Spur has been cited for possible violations.  There is a travel trailer with a shed attached to it at the very front of the property, a chainlink fence incased in a wood frame and a large shed violating the setback rule.  Bill and Rita explained the architectural guidelines to the resident.  This resident has moved the shed from the property line to the back of the property but has an issue with the septic system leach field.  The shed is 16 feet back and 18 feet from the side.  The lot is situated so that this is the only place he can put the shed.  A motion to issue a variance for the shed was made by Bill Lewis with a second by Mary Tallent Stewart.  The chainlink fence is set back behind the house and is not visible from the street.  The owner stated he received the material free and wanted to make use of it.  The fence is in good taste but a variance will not be issued by the association.  Bill is concerned about setting a precedence for future fence issues.   If someone complains about the fence we will have to address it again with the owner.  The owner stated that the trailer would be moved to the rear of the property and a deadline was set of January 2, 2007.  Fines imposed for these violations were set at $100 and were paid at this meeting.

 

X.     Adjourn

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted

 

 

Mary Tallent-Stewart

Secretary