Virginia City Highlands Property Owners Association

Minutes – Monthly Meeting, Tuesday February 13, 2007

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room – 7:00 p.m.

 

Present:  Bill Lewis,  Rita Lumos, Mary Tallent-Stewart, Mike Lupo

                Absent:  Debra Gravenstein

 

I.    Call to order, declaration of a quorum and approval of meeting agenda

President Lumos called the meeting to order at 7:03 and declared a quorum             present.

 

II.   Approve minutes of January 9, 2007 regular meeting

Minutes reviewed and motion made by Bill Lewis to approve the minutes with a     second by Mike Lupo.  Motion carries.

 

III.  Financial Statements (Discussion/Action)

A.    Monthly Cash Report

B.    Monthly Financial Statements

Lydia Hammack was absent at this meeting. Vice President Lupo discussed the October and November reports.  Expenses this month were $3,028.13, road maintenance costs were $7,459.68 and $2,000 was spent on the water truck repair. Balance in checking is $39,727 and $131,406 in the reserve.  Bill Lewis made a motion to approve the financials as submitted with a second by Mary Tallent-Stewart.  Motion carried.

 

IV.  Public Comments

        County Commissioners were present at this meeting to introduce Mike Nevin as a

        new Commissioner.  They addressed snow removal as a priority in the Highlands

        and stated that it is time to take over maintenance of Cartwright Road but they need

        the request of the Board to do so.  VCHPOA would retain ownership.  Mike Lupo

        would like to see added signage.  The county would work with road manager Bob

        Moore and there would be a written agreement regarding the work to be performed.

        There are funds for the park improvement and that will be addressed in the spring

        with Commissioner Nevin.  Brett Tyler, Planning Commissioner plans to address

        noxious weed abatement.  The website washoeweed.org lists the top 12 noxious

        weeds.  He needs official authorization from the Board to proceed and notification

        sent to all homeowners.  Also an issue is water runoff, flood plane and formation of

        a county wide fload plan.  Sales tax, land fill money and some gas tax funds this

        part of the public works budget.

     

V.    Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108(3))

            None to report

 

 

 

 

VI.   Committee Reports

A.    Architectural Committee

One set of house plans was reviewed and approved.  Bill Lewis will be vacating his seat on that committee.  He has been on the architectural committee for almost two years.

 

B.    Road Report

Bob Moore stated that most of early January 2007 was spend plowing and sandingCartwright.  The sander is now working properly.  The Dodge plow truck has been repaired.  A homeowner living off of Silverado called Bob and said that at night cars were parked at the bottom of Sazarac and Silverado due to that road being steep and slippery so Bob has been sanding it and this has helped.  Grading has been done on some of the roads to bring the material on the edge to the center of the road.  A punctured tire was replaced on the grader and more sand/salt mixture has been ordered with a mixture of 4/1.  A new starting unit was put in the front loader and it is now working very well.  A grant has been received to put up new street signs due to damage caused by the high winds this past year.

 

         C.   Documents

More advisory ball have been received and a tabulation conducted.  Not as many homeowners have voted on amending the CC & R’s.  The choice seems

to be a simple majority of  351 households or 30%.   Setting dues annually in an amount to cover the annual budget was the overwhelming response.  Keith put together language that will be sent to homeowners to extend the voting period due to the current percentage required to vote.  The Association’s attorney needs to review this.  A motion was made by Bill Lewis to have the attorney review the proposed amendments.  A second was made by Mike Lupo.  Motion carries.

 

                No Park Report this meeting.

 

VII.          Old Business

None to report

           

      VIII.    New Business

A.    Any Other Matters Which The Board Members Wish To Discuss

A $58,000 grant has been awarded to the Highlands to build a shaded fuel break along Sazarac Road, working with the Firesafe Council and the Nevada Division of Forestry.  The easement will be 50 feet, although the Division of Forestry would like to see a 100 foot easement instead.  Letters will be sent to property owners on Sazarac.  There will be a meeting tomorrow with Sierra Pacific Power regarding the trees and brush around telephone and power poles and possibly sharing the cost of the project.  There is $12,000 or $13,000 left from last years grant as well.  The Fire Department agreed to burn the slash pile the the State of Nevada has mandated that 20% must be bio-fuels.  A decision was made not to burn the poile but have it hauled down to the prision instead.  Another issue is that the pile has developed a large depth of ash from all the prior burns.

 

President Lumos stated that we need to send out nomination forms as there are three seats coming up for Board seats in June.  A one page newsletter was suggested which would also include information on the road improvement progress and how the funds are being spend and Cartwright Road maintenance plan, etc..  The webmaster will format the newsletter.  Late March is the target date.  A motion was made by Bill Lewis to send the information/nomination in this format, a second was made by Mary Tallent-Stewart.  Motion carries.

 

The reserve study needs to be done by a licensed real estate individual qualified to do it and so far no has been found that has a license.  Rita has inquired about this and no one seems to know where there is one so the study has been shelved for the time being.

 

Rita received an e-mail regarding Ferrel Gas agreements for lower rates on propane on the website.  It had been approved 12/11/01 by the Board.  She will have the webmaster post something on our website about it.

 

Rita received a call from Brent Smith, developer of Somersett.  He has purchased approximately 9,000 acres in Storey County out behind Lockwood and wanted to take Rita on a tour.  It is to be a mixed use development and he says that there would not be any impact to the Highlands.  There will be a Town Hall meeting at the firehouse in a few weeks where Mr. Smith will give a presentation regarding his proposed project.

 

                       

IX.            Executive session to discuss possible violation of CCR’s

A resident on Diablo Road complained that the road was not being maintained where he lives.  He is in collections for the $400 special assessment and $200 in dues.  He and his wife have both been very ill and have substantial medical bills.  He currently does not have the money to pay them.  He had previously paid to have his section of the road plowed but Bob Moore has plowed it since.  Rita suggested that perhaps we could get the attorney’s fees waived if he would pay the dues and the assessment.  She will find out and let them know.

 

Someone left a message for Rita about a travel trailer that is an eyesore on Dortort.

 

There is a house on the corner of Cartwright and Delta roads that has been under construction for over a year.  Rita will send a letter to the owner to come to the next Board meeting to discuss the problem.

 

Rita talked to county officials regarding the lease on the firehouse.  The responsibility for maintenance was the County’s for both buildings.  The fire chief doesn’t feel he can justify using taxpayer’s funds to keep up the firehouse.  We need to look at the lease agreement.  We will move this issue to next month’s agenda.  The County is interested in buying the fire station.  Bill Lewis suggested that we get an appraisal.

 

The president and road manager of the 10 acre Association wants to order 1 ½ inch material and would like the 1 acre Association to split the cost.  Rita consulted with a civil engineer on this type of base and was advised it was good.  The 10 acre Association also wants to rent the water truck at $70 an hour which includes the driver.   Bill Hansen is thinking about purchasing a backhoe and would like to park it in the equipment yard and will rent it at $80 per hour.  A merger of the 1 acre and 10 acre road departments is being considered.

 

X.     Adjourn

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted

 

 

Mary Tallent-Stewart

Secretary