Virginia City Highlands Property Owners Association

Minutes – Monthly Meeting, Tuesday October 9, 2007

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room – 7:00 p.m.

 

Present:          Mike Lupo,  Mary Tallent-Stewart, Bill Lewis

Absent:           Rita Lumos, Steve Morrow

 

I.         Call to order, declaration of a quorum and approval of meeting agenda

Vice President Lewis called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. and declared that a                  quorum was present.

II.       Approval of minutes of September 11, 2007 meeting

Minutes reviewed for the meeting and motion made by Mike Lupo to approve with second by Mary Tallent-Stewart.  Motion carries.

III.      Financial Statements (Discussion/Action)

A.    Monthly Cash Report

B.    Monthly Financial Statements

Mike Lupo reviewed the financial statements with the attendees.  Balance in checking is $26,760, Savings $82,285.  Expendures for the month for road maintenance were $6,834.98 and $3600 to the County for paving the fire house driveway.  A motion was made to accept the financials by Mary Tallent-Stewart with a second by Mike Lupo.   Motion carries.

IV.       Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108(3))

            None to Report

 

V.        Reports

            A.  Architectural Committee

                  This month the Committee was short members.  One set of house plans were

                  submitted and one set for a shed.  Both were approved.

 

            B.  Documents

                  Keith Judson had sent a follow-up mailing and so far 431 yes votes and 130

                  no votes have been received with 608 not responding.  We are 154 votes

                  short of approval.  This has been the best response to date on any CC & R

                  issue.  It was noted that it would be cost prohibitive to do another mailing.

                  It was suggested that telephoning property owners may be a good solution.

                  This was the way the 10 acre association accomplished a similar situation.

                  Bill Lewis would like to consider the calling method so Keith will talk with

                  Lydia Hammack to get phone numbers and addresses.

                 

            C.  Road Report

                   Road Manager Bob Moore reported that September was a quiet month for

                   road work.  Clemens was regraded from Panhandle to Bonanza.  The oil

                   leak and steering on the grader were fixed in-house.  An accident report

                   was completed for the water truck.  Steve Morrow had been called out

                   on an emergency job for his employment so the Road Committee minutes

                   and report draft were briefly discussed but not finalized.  The fall/winter

                   work allocation for road maintenance will commence when more moisture

                   is present.  Any further discussion regarding the Road Committee minutes

                   and future will be tabled until the November meeting as Steve is not present

                   to comment.  Costs need to be evaluated as the objective is to determine the

                   soils condition of each road and then the appropriate process to maintain and

                   repair it.  A traffic count is also needed.

             

           

      No Park Report this meeting –

           

VI.           Old Business

A.    Water Truck Repair – No citation was issued.  17 new items are needed to make the vehicle complete for a cost of $24,124 of which parts are $12,000.  This estimate is from Peterbuilt.  Mike Lupo suggested having the truck repaired by the company and have them work it out with the insurance company.  Lenny Wenrich explained how insurance policies work as it relates to replacement value.  We need to find out what the truck is worth using the Bluebook.  Tabled until November meeting.

B.    Fire Station and House Lease -

The tenant did a nice job of leaving the premises clean and their deposit will be returned.  Bob Moore said that there is a couple of vehicles still there.  Gary Hames would like to update a few things and a new lease will be forthcoming.

C.    Reserve Study – Tabled until November.

D.    Annual Road Closure – There will be a deputy sheriff scheduled from 8-4 on October 6, 2007.  Bill’s wife is making signs and flyers are going out.  Volunteers will be taking turns manning the stations at the mailboxes.

 

    VII.       New Business

 

A.       Policy on Architectural Committee Fee Refunds.

A future resident had submitted plans to build a house and is now not going to build.  A portion of the fee is considered an “impact” fee and Bill Lewis fees that should be held by the Association.  Craig Chancellor, the President of the 10-Acre association would like to see both associations do the same thing so as to be consistent regarding fees and reimbursements.  Right now the fees are $50 to review plans and $450 for road impact fee.  Mike Lupo made a motion to have refund requests reviewed on a case by case basis.  A second was made by Mary Tallent-Stewart.

           

VIII.         Any Other Matters which the Board Members Wish to Discuss

                   None to report

 

 

 

IX.            Executive Session

                  A resident couple on Adobe Road who built a new home has put up a white

                  vinyl fence.  Under the architectural guidelines vinyl is acceptable but the

                  color is not.  The couple indicated that they would be willing to pay a fine 

                  and that they did not realize that they needed to obtain prior approval before

                  erecting the fence.  Bill Lewis explained that the homeowners had voted

                  several years prior against white fencing and that older residences that had

                  white fences were “grandfathered” in.  If the Board approved the white

                  fence we would be going against what the property owners had previously

                  voted against and a precident would be set for others to do the same. 

                  it was suggested that the fence be painted but the property owners were

                  concerned that no paint would stick to the vinyl.   This discussion will be

                  tabled until November so all the Board members can be at the meeting to

                  make a decision and hear further concerns and statements.

 

 

X.   Adjourn 8:35 p.m.

 

       Respectfully submitted

 

 

 

 

      Mary Tallent-Stewart

      Secretary