Virginia City Highlands Property Owners Association

Minutes – Monthly Meeting, Tuesday December 11, 2007

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room – 7:00 p.m.

 

Present:          Mary Tallent-Stewart, Bill Lewis, Rita Lumos, Steve Morrow,

                        Mike Lupo

 

I.         Call to order, declaration of a quorum and approval of meeting agenda

President Lumos called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. and declared that a                  quorum was present.

A.    Association Telephone (moved to beginning of the meeting) –

Bookkeeper Lydia Hammack currently has the line in her home and has

received many calls from people regarding road issues.  She has been returning the calls and directing them to the proper places.  Lydia is recommending that the phone number in the equipment yard be moved to one line and a voicemail box put on the 800-847-7000 number directing callers to the website for more info.  She will work on the message content for the voicemail.  The cost will be $19.95.

II.       Approval of minutes of November 13 2007 regular meeting

Minutes reviewed for the meeting and motion made by Bill Lewis to approve with second by Steve Morrow.  Motion carries.

III.      Financial Statements (Discussion/Action)

A.    Monthly Cash Report

B.    Monthly Financial Statements

Rita reviewed the financial statements with the attendees.  Balance in checking is $32,975, $82,490 in savings with accounts receivable of $148,000 in dues and special assessments.  Steve Morrow noted that the capital improvements line is missing in the financials.  Rita will have added.  A motion was made by Bill Lewis to accept the financials with a second by Mike Lupo.   Motion carries.

IV.       Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108(3))

            The question was raised, did Storey County plow Cartwright during the last snow

            fall?  It was noted that one of their plows got stuck on Cartwright.  Bob Moore

            stated that he plowed at 2:30 p.m. for an hour and a half and made two passes.

 

V.        Reports

            A.  Architectural Committee

                  This month two sets of house plans were submitted and approved.  No

                  violations were reported.  The next meeting is January 3, 2008.

 

            B.  Documents

                   Keith Judson was not at this meeting, however it was reported that the work

                   has been completed on the CC & R dues issue although there will likely be

                   a legal review and the association attorney will need to record the revised

                   document.  A resident voiced concern regarding how the ballots were

                   counted because phone contact was used to record votes by board members

                    and volunteers and she feels that this was not legal.  Keith spoke to the

                    association attorney who did not have a problem with it.  She is concerned

                    that it could not be proven who voted although each phone volunteer had

                    a sheet to work from to tally votes.  Vice President Lewis argued then that

                    mailed ballots could technically also be contested in that regard.  Rita will

                    get a cost estimate upfront from the association attorney on his fee for the

                    recording of the CC& R revision for next month’s meeting.

                             

            C.  Road Report

                  Road manager Bob Moore reported that not much work was done in

                  in November on Empire, Agate and Clemons.  The water truck has had cab

                  repairs, body work and has been painted except for the mirrors.  The

                  plumbing remains to be done as well as the side frames on the radiators.  The

                  cost is $1,300 each.  They will be fabricated and bolted on by a mechanic in

                  Carson City.  The truck will then be moved to Bob’s to repair/paint and put

                  them back on.  Time frame depends on the weather.  $150 was spent on parts

                  for the sander and Bob is pleased with the result.  He used it on several

                  streets as a test.  The Board needs to set a policy on sanding the roads as

                  several residents have stated that they cannot navigate the extremely steep

                  roads in the area to get to their homes.  Silverado is one.  Several residents

                  park at the bottom on Sazarac and walk home because it is so icy.  It was

                  discussed that perhaps these extremely steep areas would be sanded on a

                  case by case basis.  The Road Committee will meet to establish criteria

                  for this issue in order to be consistent. 

 

                  Street signage has been a problem due to the weather.  The Fire Department

                  noted that approximately fifteen signed have been damaged or missing and

                  Bob has the ones they picked up in order to remount them.  The Division of

                  Forestry will pay for upgraded signs.  It was also mentioned that perhaps

                  more caution or speed signed are needed along with a large private property

                  sign at the entrance to Cartwright.

             

           

      No Park Report this meeting

 

           

VI.           Old Business

A.    Reserve Study – Nothing to report

 

    VII.       New Business

None to report

           

 

VIII.         Any Other Matters which the Board Members Wish to Discuss

A.    Resident Tom Buck introduced himself to the group as a new volunteer

for the Fire Department as Secretary Treasurer.

B.    Several notes came in with homeowners dues complaining about various

road conditions on Sazarac, no culvert across a driveway and the cutting

                         of trees on property on Sazarac from the owner who wanted to know

                         if the association has insurance for this or if anyone received permission

                         to cut the trees.  There is no record of this issue but Rita will check with

                         Harry Stanley of the Firesafe Highlands as it may have part of the work

                         done earlier in the year.

 

Adjourn to Executive Session – motion by Bill Lewis, second by Steve Morrow

 

IX.            Executive Session

                  There is a house in foreclosure on Adobe that is in deplorable condition with

                  a wrecked truck in the driveway, gutters falling and a truck cab under a tree

                  in front.  The address is 21910 Adobe.  A prior certified letter from the

                  association was not picked up and the sheriff was unsuccessful at serving

                  the missive as well.  Rita will send a registered letter issuing a 30-day

                  notice to clean up the property and also research to see if their dues have been

                  paid.  A motion was made by Bill Lewis with a second by Mike Lupo for

                  sending the letter.  Motion carries.  The issue will be re-evaluated at the

                  next meeting.

 

X.   Adjourn 8:10 p.m.

 

       Respectfully submitted

 

 

 

 

      Mary Tallent-Stewart

      Secretary