Virginia City Highlands Property Owners Association

Minutes – Monthly Meeting, Tuesday April 8, 2008

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room – 7:00 p.m.

 

Present:          Mary Tallent-Stewart, Steve Morrow, Rita Lumos, Mike Lupo

Absent:           Bill Lewis

 

I.         Call to order, declaration of a quorum and approval of meeting agenda

President Lumos called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. and declared that a                  quorum was present.

II.       Approval of minutes of March 11 regular meeting

Minutes reviewed for the meeting and motion made by Mary Tallent-Stewart to approve with second by Mike Lupo.  Motion carries.

III.      Financial Statements (Discussion/Action)

A.    Monthly Cash Report

B.    Monthly Financial Statements

The financial statements were reviewed with the attendees.  Balance in checking is $79,960, savings $148,422.  Miscellaneous income receivables $22,078.  Cash balance total is $247,468.  Road expenses were $3,064.90 and miscellaneous payables total $4,183.16  Motion by Mary Tallent-Stewart to accept the financials was made with a second by Steve Morrow. Motion carries.

 

IV.       Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108(3))

             There were complaints issued by several residents regarding cars parked at the

             mailboxes with “For Sale” signs on them.  Rita Lumos indicated that the area is

             in the 10-acre association and would have to be addressed by them.

 

             Another resident complained that the Reno Gazette Journal newspaper tubes are

             orange in color and that the June 2001 minutes reflected that they were to be

 removed.  Green would be a better color choice but the tubes are back on Cartwright and Lousetown roads.  Although they are not considered

             signage it was felt that the issue should be put in the newsletter and put in the

             agenda for the annual meeting for discussion.

 

             There are street signs down around the Highlands and road manager Bob Moore

             will do inventory on the signs and poles.  Most of the damage was caused by

             high winds and some were stolen.

 

             A representative of the Forest Service was present to discuss grant money and

             how it can be spent in the Highlands for fuel reduction.  A new fuel break will

             be put in on Calaveras in May.  Trees and brush will be thinned.  The group was

             encouraged to join the Firesafe Council.  The next meeting for that group is

             April 9th at 6:30 at the firehouse.  Homeowners are encouraged to log hours spent

             on fuel reduction at their property as it helps toward funding the grant.  Forms

             are at the mailboxes

 

             

 

V.        Reports

            A.  Architectural Committee

                  No plans were submitted this month.

 

            B.  Documents

                  None to Report

 

            C.  Road Report

                  In March work was completed on Adobe Road, Enterprise, Grizzley and

                  Cartwright.  There is an oil leak on the grader and Bob carries oil with him

                  until it can be repaired.  Scarifying was done on Dortort and Saddleback

                  brought up lots of rock.  The result would have been better if a roller had

                  been used as well.  Additional material was placed on Hermit and Calaveras.

                  scarifying saves money on material if the material is there.  Steve Morrow

                  indicated that there had been a Road Committee meeting and it was decided

                  that the concentration of work would be on Bonanza, Crestview, Highland

                  and Highland Spur starting in May.  The work will be coordinated with the

                  Nevada Division of Forestry.  Bob stated that road material prices are cheaper

                  in Reno but quarries in this area have said that they will match the price.

                  Steve Morrow stated that the actions of the Road Committee will be published

                  on the web as well as documentation of those actions.  Also planned is

                  general road maintenance and ditch work.  When all this work has been

                  completed the budget will be revisited to see where we stand.  On Sazarac

                  there is plenty of material to work with and the plan is to scarify and moisture

                  condition that road as the material tested well.  It was also noted that six

                  road approaches off of Cartwright and Lousetown will be paved and the

                  County will do that work after July 1, 2008.  The Association is looking to

                  purchase a drum roller which would be of great help in the road work.

 

            D.  Water Truck – Is 75% completed.  Doug is working on the tank plumbing.

 

E.     Reserve Study – Rita has received a proposal from the individual in Las Vegas.    

           

      F.    Park Report – Rita reported that she had met with Public Works Director Mike Nevin and he indicated that work on the Highlands Park would be the first priority this year.

           

VI.           New Business

A spring community clean-up was discussed for May 17th .  It will be posted at the mail boxes and on the website.

 

   

 

VII.       Any Other Matters Which The Board Members Wish to Discuss

   l.   Call For Nominations – Will go out via mail in April for the vacant Board

        seats.

   2.  The park was discussed, Storey County is spearheading the project to make        the gazebo and retaining walls larger, add a wall and sidewalk and three         tables.  Karlyn McPartlin stated that there is $58,000 available and the County has a plan and project list.

   3.  The slash pile will be fenced with pipe panels to help keep people from

        dumping trash.

 

   VIII.      Adjourn 7:55 to Executive Session

                  The house on Adobe Road & Grizzley has been cleaned up.  The house on

                  the corner of Delta and Cartwright has been had the travel trailer moved out

                  from the front yard yet.  Rita will contact the owner as he was supposed to

                  have it out by 12/31.

 

   Adjourn 8:20 p.m.

 

 

   Respectfully submitted

 

 

 

   Mary Tallent-Stewart

   Secretary