Virginia City Highlands Property Owners’ Association

Minutes – Monthly Meeting Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room

 

Present:       Rita Lumos, Bill Lewis, Mike Lupo, Steve Morrow

Absent:        Mary Tallent-Stewart (Excused, out of town on business)

I.      Call To Order, Declaration Of A Quorum, And Approval Of Meeting Agenda

The meeting was called to order by President Rita Lumos at 7:00 pm.  Ms. Lumos declared a quorum present.  The agenda was approved as posted.

II.    Approve Minutes of the April 8, 2008 Regular Meeting

A motion by Lewis, seconded by Lupo to approve the minutes as submitted was approved unanimously.

III.  Financial Statements

Treasurer Mike Lupo reviewed the financial statements.  The cash on hand on April 30, 2008 is $223,580, of which $123, 789 is the reserve account balance.  Major expenses for May include $5630 for liability insurance, $3,507 Ombudsman’s Fee, and approximately $12,000 for road improvements. 

Rita Lumos reported that a new savings account for operating expenses had been opened and the reserve funds are being maintained in the existing reserve savings account.  Funds necessary to meet expenses will be transferred monthly to the checking account from the appropriate savings account.  With this change there will always be an accurate accounting for the operating and reserve funds.

A motion by Lewis, seconded by Lupo to accept the financial report was approved unanimously.

IV.  Comments by Association Members

Cecilia Lak noted that traffic is moving too fast on Cartwright Road, greatly exceeding the speed limit.  It was suggested that more speed limit signs be posted.

Lumos read a letter from association member Dave Thomas requesting the board, jointly with the board of the Highlands Ranches POA (Tens) draft and present a letter to the County Commission requesting that no parking signs be posted on the west side of Cartwright Road adjacent to the old mail box shelter.  This would discourage the parking of used cars for sale in this area. 

Several people expressed concern that this area is needed for parking during heavy snow storms and that it is a convenient place to turn around when getting mail.  Several alternatives were discussed and the general consensus was that a request should be for signs stating “Emergency Parking Only”.  Lumos will contact the HRPOA to see if they are interested in participating.

Jeff Cox, a VCHPOA owner and a circulation manager for the Reno Gazette Journal reported that he had received a complaint about the newspaper tubes on Cartwright and Lousetown Roads.  He explained the tubes are the property of the lot owners and not of the newspaper.  He has no authority to remove them.  Lumos noted that the issue had been brought up at the April meeting and an overwhelming majority of those present were not offended by the newspaper tubes.  There will be a discussion of this issue at the annual meeting in July.

V.    Committee Reports

A.    Architectural Committee

Rita Lumos reported that the Architectural Committee had met on May 6.  One set of plans for an addition to an existing residence was presented and approved.  A fee of $75 was collected.  A written complaint about a shed having  been moved onto a property was received.  The owner is being contacted and asked to comply with all restrictions and conditions.

B.    Road Report

Bob Moore reported that work on Bonanza Road from Clemens to Calaveras had been completed and that work was proceeding on Highland, Highland Spur, and Crestview.  Fey Road will also be improved at the upper end of the Highlands and then work will shift to Delta and the short roads which intersect it.  The water truck is in service with Tom Peevers as the primary driver.

Bob reported that the equipment yard had been cleared of all junk with the help of Sharon Dixon.

Bob and Neal Melton had attended a seminar on dust control of gravel roads at UNR and found it very informative and worthwhile.

Steve Morrow reported that the roller will be kept another month in order to do regrading on some of the major roads like Empire and Sazarac.  This will not involve adding any new material.  Work will also be done on the intersections where the County is expected to add paving on the approaches to Cartwright and Lousetown. 

Morrow also reported that a test of the application of a magnesium chloride mixture on a small strip of road will be done in June.  This treatment is for dust control and durability of the road surface.  The chemicals are harmless to the environment.  He noted that the safety specifications for the product will be posted on the web site.  The application cannot be used on very steep sections of roadway.

The importance of safe speed limits on the gravel roads, both for safety and for protection of the road surfaces was stressed.  Many questioned whether there is a set speed limit on the gravel roads. 

A motion by Lupo, seconded by Lewis to set the speed limit for all the unpaved roads at 15 miles per hour, and to purchase signs posting the speed limit at the entrance to each road was approved unanimously.

It was also noted that a number of the street signs were missing and need to be replaced.  Although the signs are expensive they are an important safety issue for the Highlands.

C.    Reserve Study

Rita reviewed two proposals from reserve specialists which had been received.  One was from a company in Las Vegas, and one from Sacramento, CA.  The board was reluctant to hire either one until there is assurance that they are registered by the state and that the study would be in compliance with state law.  Rita stated that she had recently spoken to the Ombudsman’s Office and was told that the registration process was not yet complete.  She will investigate further.

VI.  New Business

A.    Spring Clean Up Day

Rita reminded everyone that the clean up day had been scheduled for Saturday, May 17th and that volunteers are needed.  Everyone was asked to meet at the  mailboxes at 10:00 am.  Garbage bags will be provided.

B.     Annual Meeting Preparation

1.     Set Date For Annual Meeting

The annual meeting will be held Saturday, July 12, at 10:00 am.  Rita will contact the volunteer fire department for help in organizing a pancake breakfast prior to the meeting.

2.     FY 08-09 Budget

The proposed budget was reviewed.  It was accepted by the board and will be sent out to all owners with the newsletter.  Final approval of the budget will be at the annual meeting.

3.     Proposed Agenda for Annual Meeting

The agendas for the past two annual meetings were reviewed.  The agenda will be similar this year, with the addition of a report from the VRWPA and a discussion of the newspaper tubes.

4.     Items for Newsletter

The speed limit will be highlighted in the newsletter.  Steve will prepare a road report.  Fire Safe Highlands was asked to contribute an article about their activities.  It was noted that dogs running loose had attacked a boy at the park and there could be a mention of Storey County leash laws in the newsletter.

VII.          Adjournment

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:10 pm.

Respectfully Submitted,

 

Rita Lumos, President

Steve Morrow, Vice President