Virginia City Highlands Property Owners’ Association

Minutes - Monthly Meeting – Tuesday November 11, 2008

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room

 

Present:  Biederman, Morrow, Robbins, Tallent-Stewart, Lumos

Absent:  None

I.       Call To Order, Declaration of a Quorum and Approval of Meeting Agenda  

President Biederman called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm. and declared a quorum present.

II.     Approve Minutes of the October 14, 2008 Meeting

A motion by Morrow, seconded by Robbins to approve the minutes as submitted was approved unanimously.

III.    Financial Statements  

A.     Review Financial Statements

Mary Tallent-Stewart reviewed the financial statement   The October ending balance in all accounts is $110,440.  The operating accounts total $49,982, and the reserve account holds 61,458.  November expenses are anticipated at $5,563. 

Mary reported that about $28,000 had already been received in 2009 dues and assessments in November.  The early billing is working well since owners are not receiving their invoices during the holiday season, and many are paying promptly.  She believes there is less confusion when both dues and special assessments are billed together.

A motion by Tallent-Stewart, seconded by Morrow, to accept the financial statement as submitted was approved unanimously.

IV.   Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108(3))

Lenny and Joan Wenrick were welcomed back after being away on business for several months.

No other comments were offered.

V.     Committee Reports

A.     Architectural Committee  

Rita Lumos reported that only one application for a change in house color had been received by the Architectural Committee in November.  The application was approved.

A complaint about a nonconforming fence was received by the committee and forwarded to the Board of Directors for action.

B.     Road Report  

Bob Moore reported that the front loader had some leaks which needed repairing and for which parts were hard to find.  He has now located the parts and repaired the problem.

Street signs have been ordered, but production has been delayed.  They should be ready by mid-November.

He did grading on a number of roads after the recent rain.  Since we do not have a roller, he wheel rolled with the grader after grading, which takes a bit longer, is not as effective as using a roller, but works fairly well.  He anticipates installing a culvert before the weather gets much worse.

He talked to Sheriff Miller about speeding in the Highlands.  The sheriff does not currently have enough deputies to patrol continuously, but anticipates being able to hire more deputies after January 1.    

Mr. Moore has looked into purchasing radios that would work on the County’s Public Works frequency.  The vendor brought radios up but they do not work in the Highlands.  We would have to have a tower installed in order to have service here.  Bob stated that the county public works trucks do not have service in this area either.  We cannot use the emergency frequencies that the sheriff and fire departments use. 

The McPartlins insisted that radios were purchased and installed when Richard Woolley was president.  Lumos stated that she doesn’t believe that purchase was made.  The minutes from December, 2005 state that the purchase was approved, but there is no record of the purchase.  The bookkeeper will be asked to search the financial records to determine if the radios had ever been purchased.  Bob found two old radios in the shed, but doesn’t believe they will work.  None have ever been installed in the newer snow plow trucks.

Bob talked to Craig Chancellor about the two associations splitting the cost of installing culverts on Graves and Mr. Chancellor agreed.  This road is within the boundaries of the Highland Ranches, but serves several one acre lots.  There has been a severe drainage problem there in recent winters.

He would like to replace the wide and high tires on one of the Dodge trucks.  Last year the steering box had to be replaced and the mechanic said the problem was due to the oversize tires.  The rims are $177 each from Dodge.   Many stated that cheaper rims can be found.  Bob will look around for less expensive replacements.

Steve Morrow presented draft minutes of the road committee meeting held in October.  He stated that as we learn from our problems and successes with the road work we will need to amend the road plan.  The committee is working on some suggestions for changes.

Dale Morgan reported that he had contact with a vendor in Fernley, GE Water, who installs Lignin on mine roads for about $14,000 per mile.  Steve reported that the road committee had discussed Lignin and was originally deterred by the cost.  They are currently reconsidering that as well as many other options.  Frequency of watering is an issue that will affect future work.  Cape seal is another option being researched.  There are installations in Northern Nevada which are being investigated, as well as the cost benefit analysis for each option. 

Cul-de-sacs were also discussed.  Many need to be widened and improved in order to facilitate access by emergency vehicles.

The purchase of a vibrating roller to be shared with the Tens is being considered.  A used roller can be found for about $40,000.  Road work can be done more effectively if a roller is available on a regular basis.  A cost benefit analysis is also being considered for this possible purchase.

 

VI.   Unfinished Business

A.     Manufactured Home Application  

Andy Biederman stated that this issue was deferred from the last meeting so that more research could be done on the issue.  He has done some research and asked for owners present to state their views.

One owner said that he had investigated modular homes last summer.  He felt that the construction was comparable to stick built homes.  Modular homes are not the same as manufactured homes.

Andy stated that his research in the Washoe County area shows property values on manufactured homes are $40,000 to $50,000 less than for a standard single family residence constructed on a similar lot.

Jim Watson stated that every home in the Highlands will depreciate the day that the first one is installed.  The interpretation has always been that manufactured homes have never been allowed.  He suggested that the board stand by the interpretation.

Karlyn McPartlin stated that she has twelve votes by proxy in opposition to allowing a manufactured home in the Highlands.

Lumos stated that the definition for manufactured homes in NRS is the same for both manufactured and mobile homes.  She is concerned that if one were to be allowed the precedent would be set and it would open the door for any of these type homes to be installed in the future.  The architectural guidelines, which are recorded, clearly state that structures shall be constructed on site with a substantial quantity of new material.  This should meet the requirements of state statute for prohibiting manufactured homes.

A motion by Lumos, seconded by Tallent-Stewart to deny the Fiamengo application to install a manufactured home in the Highlands since it does not conform to the Architectural Guidelines was approved unanimously.  A letter will be sent to Ms. Fiamengo informing her of the board’s action.

VII. New Business

A.     November Clean-up Day  

Mary suggested that another clean-up day be held before the Thanksgiving Holiday.  It should be on a Saturday.  November 22 was suggested from 10 am to 2 pm.  Trash bags will be provided.  Jim Stewart will put his flat bed truck by the mailboxes to collect the trash.  The event will be posted on the chat board asking for volunteers.

VIII.          Any Other Matters which the Board Members Wish to Discuss

No other matters were brought up by any board member.

IX.   Executive Session to discuss possible violations of CC&R’s  

The regular meeting was recessed and the board met in executive session to discuss violations.

A complaint was received about a non conforming fence in the rear of a house on Cartwright Road.  Due to the configuration of the lots, this fence is directly adjacent to the home on the adjoining lot.  The first fence was a temporary, orange, construction-type fence.  Recently a more permanent fence has been erected.  No approval by the Architectural Committee has been given for any fence.  The owner will be notified that they must comply with the CC&Rs and Architectural Guidelines.

Letters have been written but not yet mailed regarding the two long standing complaints for which the prescribed remediation has not been accomplished.  If no action is taken, fines will have to be levied according to NRS and association policies. 

X.     Adjourn

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

 

Rita M. Lumos, Secretary