Virginia City Highlands Property Owners’ Association

Monthly Meeting – Tuesday April 14, 2009

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room

 

Present:  Biederman, Morrow, Robbins, Tallent-Stewart, Lumos

Absent:  None

I.      Call To Order, Declaration of a Quorum and Approval of Meeting Agenda  

President Biederman called the meeting to order at 7:10 pm and declared a quorum present.

II.    Approve Minutes of the March 10, 2009 Meeting

A motion by Tallent-Stewart, seconded by Morrow to approve the minutes as submitted was approved unanimously.

III.   Financial Statements  

A.    Review Financial Statements

Treasurer Tallent-Stewart reviewed the financial report.

Income for the month was $12,367 from dues, assessments and transfer fees.  Expenses for March were $4,103, which included $2,244 administrative expense, $1,754 for road maintenance and snow plowing, a $771 property tax payment, and $105 miscellaneous expense.  The ending cash balance as of March 31 was $249,980.  Total assets including property, equipment, and cash are $439,164.

Expected April expenses are $4,541 plus an insurance premium to be decided later on the agenda.

It was reported that there are nearly 100 lots on which the dues and assessment have not been paid.  The second notices will go out by registered mail this month. 

Steve noted that the year-to-date expenses for road maintenance are over $56,000 and questioned whether some of the salary for capital improvements are included.  Mary will check with the accountant to verify.

A motion by Lumos, seconded by Robbins, to accept the financial statement was approved unanimously. 

IV.  Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108(3))

 Mike Lupo questioned why the junk cars that the fire department is using for training are located behind the facility in a residential area.  He suggested that there might be a better location than our neighborhood for the training.  Andy will check with Gary Hames and possibly ask him to attend a meeting to inform the association.

V.     Committee Reports

A.    Architectural Committee  

Rita Lumos reported that there were two applicants at the architectural committee.  One was an application to install a wood fence and the other was an application to add a covered porch to an existing residence and repaint the house.

B.    Road Report  

Bob Moore, road manager was out of town and not attending the meeting.  Jim Stewart reported that Bob has been doing maintenance grading on a number of roads and some have been widened a bit.  Spring maintenance has been done of both the grader and front loader.

1.    2009 Spring Road Improvement Plan  

Steve Morrow presented a report on the road committee’s plan for work to be accomplished in the remainder of this fiscal year.  He noted that the mission of the road committee is to maintain and improve the quality of the roads in the most efficient manner. 

He noted which roads have been completed according to the LARRI first published in 2007.  There were many owners who provided feedback on the application of mag. chloride with some being very favorable and some not so favorable.  Steve stated that some of the treated roads do tend to get a little bit slick when wet.  Those roads that exhibit the slick conditions will require more rock on the surface in the future.

In order to be effective for the long term, the mag chloride or other dust suppressant material will have to be applied on an annual basis with occasional watering.

The Spanish Springs homeowners association has been using mag chloride for about 10 years, with annual application.  The roads are reported to be as smooth as paved roads.

The road committee took a tour of all 13+ miles of roads and made assessments of needed work.  Several roads will need a full rebuild; some will need only regrading and compacting.  Crowns will be rebuilt and ditches cleaned.  Any culverts that are in the roadway will be cleaned if necessary.  Private driveway culverts are the owners’ responsibility.

Steve noted that the original LARRI calls for a road stabilization material to be used to both suppress dust and stabilize the material.

Three products are being studied and considered: Mag chloride, lignin, and a mag chloride/polymer blend (DuraBlend).  He discussed the characteristics, benefits, and costs of each.

Both the lignin and DuraBlend can be used on the steep areas where mag chloride is not recommended.  The materials are compatible in the case that the products are switched at some future time.  The application methods are similar.

Priorities for this year to be rebuilt:  Saddleback, Applegate, Pinenut, Morgan, Bowie, Harte, Silverado, Alpine, Stallion, and Palomino.  The remainder of the gravel roads will all be regarded and recompacted.

The committee recommends applying approximately 8 miles of mag chloride and 6 miles of DuraBlend.  This will provide dust suppression for the entire length of the roads in the Highlands.

The cost estimate for the spring work is $116,078.  Since our roads are not all standard width, the cost may be less.

Andy asked why two separate products are being used.  Steve replied that the DuraBlend is a new product with little history.  The company has stated that if it fails they will replace with mag chloride.  This will give the association a chance to compare the two products and determine which will work better in the future.

The roads committee has agreed unanimously on this plan after much deliberation. 

A motion by Lumos, seconded by Biederman, to ratify the road committee’s plan for this fiscal year was approved unanimously.

VI.  New Business

A.    Speeding in the Highlands

 There have been many complaints from homeowners about the rampant speeding on Cartwright and other main roads.  Mary asked if the speed indicator trailer could be placed on the hill on Cartwright, or a location other than the entrance.  A horse has been killed.  There is great concern that someone will hit a child or cause a terrible accident.

There is a lot of wild horse traffic in the area and people are driving too fast to stop in a reasonable distance or time.  There are people that are traveling in excess of 50 mph on the interior roads.

Lieutenant Antinoro reported that traffic control works very well as long as officers are present, but there are not enough staff to patrol at all times.  Only two officers at a time are patrolling this end of the county and must rotate around the area.  Since Jan. 1 of this year 570 incidents have been recorded in this area.  Of those, 174 were traffic stops.  About a third of those were cited.   

Lieutenant Antinoro indicated that the speed indicator trailer can be brought in for periods of time.  They will respond to the best of their ability.

B.    Inland Marine and Building Insurance  

The annual insurance policy for the grader, loader, miscellaneous equipment, and the mailbox sheds is due.  The proposal for renewal of the current policy is $5,853.73. 

The agent who currently has the vehicle policy has provided a proposal for equivalent coverage for a cost of $4,468.21.

A motion by Robbins, seconded by Tallent-Stewart, to take out the lower cost policy was approved unanimously.

C.   Annual Meeting Preparation

Call for Nomination Forms must go out by May 1 in order to have names for the ballots which go out at the end of May.  Rita will update the form and have Lydia do the mailing.

1.    2010 Road Improvement Plan  

Steve touched on possible plans being contemplated by the road committee for the next fiscal year.  The firm plan has not yet been proposed.

VII. Any Other Matters which the Board Members Wish to Discuss

The first draft of the Reserve Study was received on April 13, the day before the meeting.  Some assumptions need to be revised, but the overall report looks reasonable.

Since the budget for the next fiscal year has to be approved by the board at the May meeting, a special meeting should be held before that meeting to discuss the budget and reserve study.  Mary will call Dave Thomas to determine a viable date.  It will be advertised as an open meeting.

Jed Margolin reported on the progress of the wind farm application.  He has confirmed with the Public Utilities Commission that there is a misstatement of requirements in the application.  He has notified the BLM of this fact.

Rita reported that a legal opinion on the potential sale of the fire station property to Storey County has been received.  The attorney opined that a majority of the property owners would have to approve the sale.  He will design an approval form for our use if requested.  The form should go out with the newsletter.

Loretta Kirkpatrick has responded to the letter which was sent to the postal service by the association.  The individuals have been arrested and the post office feels that the area is now secure.  There is no intention to change the locks. 

Lieutenant Antinoro stated that two of the suspects have been indicted federally and all four face state charges. 

The lights have been repaired and the outside lights are brighter.

VIII.        Executive Session to discuss possible violations of CC&R’s  

Since no complaints have been received by the board no executive session was held.

IX.  Adjourn

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:30 pm.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Rita Lumos, Secretary