Virginia City Highlands Property Owners’ Association

Minutes Monthly Meeting – Tuesday June 9, 2009

Virginia City Highlands Fire Station Training Room

 

Present: Morrow, Robbins, Lumos

Absent: Biederman, Tallent-Stewart

I.      Call To Order, Declaration of a Quorum and Approval of Meeting Agenda

Ray Robbins called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm, and declared a quorum present.

II.    Approve Minutes of the May 12, 2009 Regular Meeting

A motion by Morrow, seconded by Lumos to approve the minutes for the May 12 meeting was approved unanimously.

III.   Financial Statements

Ray reviewed the financial reports.

Income for the month was $4,400 from dues, assessments, and transfer fees.  Expenses for May were $10,632 including administrative expenses, the Ombudsman’s fee, and road maintenance.  The ending cash balance as of May 31 was $241,771.  Total assets including property, equipment, and cash are $261,016.  Accounts receivable, due to unpaid dues and assessments, are $19,245.

Expected May expenses are $71,358 which includes road improvement work paid from the reserve fund.

A motion by Lumos, seconded by Robbins to accept the financial report as submitted.

IV.  Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108(3))

Rich Bent thanked Jim Stewart and Bob Moore for the help when a horse on ran in front of his car on Cartwright.  He said the horses ran into the road and caused him to run into the bank on the side of the road.   The horse was not hit.

Jim Stewart reported that he will be the person to call whenever there is an animal incident in the Highlands.

After a discussion on the value of the speed limit signs, Jed Margolin stated that he is in favor of the speed limit signs and would even be in favor of having a permanent electronic speed indicator sign in several locations to remind people to obey the speed limit.  Jim Stewart will inquire about cost when he meets with the sheriff.

V.     Committee Reports

A.    Architectural Committee

Rita Lumos reported that there were no applicants at the committee meeting, so no meeting was held.

B.    Road Report

Bob Moore reported that the rebuilding phase of this year’s road work was done on 17 roads, comprising about 4.7 miles.  Mag chloride was installed on some roads and the Durablend installation on the remainder of the roads will begin at the end of this week.  He is working on grading and preparing those roads for the Durablend installation.

He had some flat tires on the grader and an oil leak which had to be repaired.

Bob presented a report from Gail Durham, Forest Health Specialist, with the Nevada Division of Forestry.  The report states that the cause of the death of juniper trees along some of the busier roads is too much dust collecting on the trees, and not in any way related to the mag. chloride installation from last year.  Mistletoe infestation is also a problem.  The dust suppression being installed on the roads will not only improve human health, but should help the trees as well.  Ray asked if Ms. Durham would be able to speak at the annual meeting.  Bob Moore will contact her.

The roads will be watered periodically during the summer in order to get the best performance from the dust suppressants.

C.   Park Report

No park report was presented.

VI.  Unfinished Business

A.    Review Reserve Study

The final reserve study has not been received.  No action was taken.

VII. New Business

A.    Annual Meeting Preparation

Articles for the newsletter need to be completed in the next day or two.  The printing and mailing must be completed by the end of the month.

VIII.        Any Other Matters which the Board Members Wish to Discuss

Bob reported that the fire department is interested in buying the front loader.  Negotiations will continue.

The county’s appraisal for the fire station property has been received.  The ballot/consent form regarding the sale will go out with the annual mailing. 

IX.  Executive Session to discuss possible violations of CC&R’s

Since no complaints have been brought before the board no executive session was held.

X.    Adjourn

The meeting was adjourned at 7:40 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Rita Lumos,
Secretary