Virginia City Highlands Property Owners’ Association

Minutes – Monthly Meeting

Tuesday, December 11, 2012, 7:00 pm

 

Present:  Dave Thomas, Mary Tallent-Stewart, Pat Flanagan   

Absent:    Karlyn McPartlin

I.                    Call to Order, Declaration of a Quorum, and Approval of Meeting Agenda

President Thomas called the meeting to order at 7:06 pm and declared a quorum present.

II.                  Approve Minutes

A.     November 13, 2012 Regular Meeting

A motion by Flanagan, seconded by Tallent-Stewart, to approve the minutes as submitted was approved unanimously.

B.      November 19, 2012 Emergency Meeting

A motion by Tallent-Stewart, seconded by Flanagan, to approve the minutes as submitted was approved unanimously.  Thomas complimented the recording secretary on the completeness of the minutes.

III.                Appointment of New Board Member

A motion by Tallent-Stewart, seconded by Flanagan, to table the appointment until the January meeting was approved unanimously.

IV.               Review of Financial Statements

Thomas reviewed the financial statements for the month of November.  Total expenses for the month were $2,888; income was $34,873.  The cash balance at the end of November was $202,585.  The complete financial statement is available on the web site at http://www.vchpoa.org/Financials.shtml

Thomas noted that less money than expected was spent on roads.  Higher administrative expenses are due to the annual dues billing and the processing of payments.  The billing to Storey County for rent on the fire station & house had been in arrears so a larger payment was received.  Cash on hand is ahead of the previous year

A motion by Tallent-Stewart, seconded by Flanagan, to accept the financial report was approved unanimously

V.                 Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.31083.5)

No members present had any comments at this time.

VI.               Committee Reports

A.     Architectural Committee

Rita Lumos reported that no applicants appeared at the December meeting.  She noted that a new member is needed to fill out the board.  Thomas stated that the candidate he had contacted had declined.  Lumos is still shopping for file cabinets at a reasonable price.

B.      Road Report

Thomas reported that there was no activity on the roads in the past month.  To date there has been no need for snow plowing.  The road work done in the past season is holding up well.

There is a need for an alternate snow plow driver.

C.      Park Committee

There was no activity by this committee in the last month.  Rich Bent said that the roof shingles have blown off again.  It is the county’s responsibility to maintain it and it likely won’t be done until next spring or summer.

VII.             Unfinished Business

A.     New Signage for Entrance-Legal Review

Any action or discussion on this item was postponed to the January meeting.

VIII.            New Business

A.     VRWPA Large Animal Emergency Evacuation Center

Tallent-Stewart reported that VRWPA owns the 10 acre parcel adjacent to the school property which they would like to develop for a large animal emergency evacuation center.  It has been estimated that the cost of leveling and grading the land and installing more pipe corral fence would cost between $18,000 and $19,000.  VRWPA is asking the two associations for help in this development.  If the VCHPOA could provide the road crew and equipment for the clearing and grading VRPWA would reimburse the association for out of pocket expenses.

A motion by Flanagan, seconded by Tallent-Stewart to provide these services at cost was approved unanimously.

B.      Condition of Roads Between VCHPOA and HRPOA 

Any action on this item was postponed to the January meeting.  There have apparently been many complaints that the roads in the HRPOA have not been maintained.  It has been reported that comments were made by the HRPOA about the maintenance of the VCHPOA roads which need to be addressed.  Thomas will contact them for further information on this item.  The HRPOA will not meet again until late January.

C.      Water Use and Supply Issues

Flanagan has heard from two residents whose wells are no longer functioning.  He stated that he has been told that there is a drop in the water table and an increase in minerals in the water in the Highlands.  He put the issue on the Highlands Yahoo web site and found it to be a very controversial issue.  People are concerned that property values will decrease as a result.

He suggests that a pamphlet be developed to provide to owners to educate them on water conservation issues, and to encourage owners to build new homes with water conservation in mind.  The conditions vary widely from area to area. 

Thomas stated that the association has no right to regulate water in any way; it is the responsibility of the State Engineer’s Office.  Each domestic well has the right to use two acre feet per year, which is as much as 1800 gallons/day. 

In 2004 Lydia Hammack researched all the well data for the Highlands and has a developed a spread sheet on all the wells drilled prior to that time which is available on the association web site.  The quantity of well water varies greatly among the wells.  Quality can be very different from adjacent wells.

Flanagan stated that some residents are trucking water in due to well problems.

The state engineer likely has information available for the public.  Flanagan will look into that possibility.

IX.                Any Other Matters which the Board Members Wish to Discuss

No board members had any other matters to bring before the board.

X.                  Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108.3(c))

There were no comments offered.

XI.                Executive Session to Discuss Possible Violations of the CC&R’s, if Necessary

The regular meeting was recessed and the board went into executive session at 7:45 pm.

In accordance with Nevada Revised Statutes the proceedings of executive sessions are kept confidential.  Full minutes of the executive session are available upon request.

XII.              Adjourn

There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 7:55 pm.

 

Respectfully Submitted

 

Rita Lumos, Recording Secretary