Virginia City Highlands Property Owners’ Association

Minutes - Monthly Meeting – Tuesday, December 10, 2013

V.C. Highlands Fire Station Training Room

Present:  Jay Carmona, Jack McGuffey, Jim Watson, Jason VanHavel, and Dale Morgan

Absent:    None

I.                     Call to Order, Declaration of a Quorum, and Approval of Meeting Agenda

President Carmona called the meeting to order at 7:10 pm and declared a quorum present.

Carmona suggested removal of two items from the agenda:  purchase of the printer and job applications.  A motion by VanHavel, seconded by McGuffey to approve the agenda as amended was approved unanimously.

II.                  Approve Minutes of November 12, 2013 Meeting

A motion by McGuffey, seconded by Morgan to approve the minutes as submitted was approved unanimously.

III.                Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.31083.5)  

No comments were offered at this time.

IV.               Review of Financial Statements  

Morgan reviewed the financial statements for the month of November.  Total expenses were $5,010; income was $29,815.  The cash balance at the end of November was  $274,185.  Estimated expenses for December are $1,064.  There may be additional expenses for truck maintenance.

The complete financial statements are available on the association web site at http://www.vchpoa.org/Financials.shtml .

Morgan announced that the bookkeeper job had been posted on the Yahoo list and three applicants had replied.  In the past, the bookkeeping has been done using QuickBooks software owned by the current bookkeeper and accountant.  The association does not own a copy.  He contemplates buying an inexpensive laptop and a copy of QuickBooks to give to the new person.  There should also be a backup service.  Lumos stated that the previous board had asked the bookkeeper to subscribe to a backup service.  Morgan will follow up to see if a service is in use.

A motion by VanHavel, seconded McGuffey, to purchase a laptop, QuickBooks, and an external hard drive was approved unanimously.

Morgan also stated that he had opened checking and savings accounts for the operating fund and a savings account for a portion of the reserve fund at City National Bank as approved at the November meeting.  The money market account at Greater Nevada Credit Union approved at the last meeting is not available.  A savings account for the balance of the reserve fund was opened at First Independent Bank.

V.                 Committee Reports

A.     Architectural Committee

No meeting was held in December.  The next meeting will be January 7, 2014.

B.      Road Report  

Carmona reported on the status of the plow vehicles.  The 2000 GMC has had the water pump and serpentine belt replaced and a new alternator installed.  He reported that there had been possible front differential damage done due to lack of fluid.  New tires will be purchased.

The 2000 Dodge had the steering box, pan hard, and power steering pump replaced.  The hydraulic system was flushed and refilled.  New tires will be purchased.

The 2001 Dodge has had new tires installed.

He reported that response for plowing in the last storm was acceptable.  The sander was in use also with good results.

A job opening for snowplowing was posted and six applications were received to date.  Hiring will begin by December 13.

Watson pointed out that a previous board appointed a road committee several years ago.  Reportedly, no meetings have been held for quite some time.  He said that either a new committee should be appointed or the committee should be dissolved. 

A motion by Morgan to disband the road committee died for lack of a second.

Watson said that having a road committee would be a place for the owners to air concerns and for road planning to be accomplished.  The committee would be an advisory group and present recommendations to the board for approval.  Morgan feels that the committee should start from scratch.

VanHavel suggested that the matter be continued to the January meeting and a new committee be appointed at the time.  Carmona stated that he wants to oversee the work on the roads.  He intends to follow the approved road plan.

The question of whether culverts can be repaired when the ends are smashed arose.  Rick Draper stated that he has worked on roads for over 40 years and is a general contractor.  He said culverts ends can be repaired but structural integrity can be compromised. It is best to dig up, cut off, and replace the end.

 

VI.               Unfinished Business

A.     Entryway Signs  

McPartlin stated that the design is complete but the signs will not be installed until the weather is better for construction.  Commissioners have not yet seen the final design. She requested that this item be dropped from the agenda until closer to time for construction in the spring.

B.      MOU with Fire Department regarding Fire Suppression Efforts and Grants  

Watson received a draft of the agreement from the County and has given it to Carmona to review.  He will consult with Chief Hames as to any revisions and then the final agreement will be presented to the board for approval.

VII.         Old Business

A.    Road Closure Report

The road closure was not held due to adverse weather conditions.  It is rescheduled for December 21.  Carmona will research to see if the closure is really necessary to retain private road status.  Volunteers are still needed.  VanHavel volunteered to coordinate the effort if it is found to be necessary.  Doug Fontana volunteered to help.

VIII.        New Business

A.   Appointment to Architectural Committee

The board will advertise for owners interested in serving on the Architectural Committee.  Construction knowledge is preferred.

IX.                Any Other Matters which the Board Members Wish to Discuss  

Watson expressed a need for a formal chain of command and statement of duties for the board and its employees.  He requested a review of job descriptions for board members contained in the association’s governing documents.  There are descriptions in the By-Laws, but may need to be revised.

X.                  Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108.3(c))  

Stephanie Ferdock asked if there is a maintenance or mileage log for vehicles.  The board acted at the last meeting to institute better record keeping and having a log in each vehicle.  VanHavel stated that forms are being developed and they will be in place by Jan. 1.  Draper stated that logs were maintained in the past.

Joan Wenrick asked about the status of the cell tower.  Rick Draper stated that he had accompanied the building inspector to the site to meet with the new owner of the adjacent lot and the cell tower developer.  The owner claimed that the tower would give him cancer and has threatened a lawsuit against its construction.  The county was then going to require an environmental impact statement.  It is believed that the tower company will withdraw its applications for construction.

The status of the Sunny Hills development was questioned.  The portion of the development within Washoe County is already in process.  VanHavel said that since there is little chance of stopping the development the County needs to strike the best deal it can to protect and benefit the Highlands area should the land transfer be approved.

McPartlin expressed thanks to Carmona, Draper, and Fontana for their work in keeping the roads plowed during the recent storm.

XI.                Executive Session to Discuss Possible Violations of the CC&R’s, if Necessary  

No executive session was held.

XII.              Adjourn

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:17 pm.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Rita Lumos, Recording Secretary