Virginia City Highlands Property Owners’ Association

Minutes - Monthly Meeting – Tuesday, January 14, 2014

V.C. Highlands Fire Station Training Room

Present:  Jay Carmona, Jack McGuffey, Jason VanHavel, and Dale Morgan

Absent:    Jim Watson

I.                    Call to Order, Declaration of a Quorum, and Approval of Meeting Agenda

President Carmona called the meeting to order at 7:06 pm and declared a quorum present.  A motion by McGuffey, seconded by VanHavel, to approve the agenda as published was approved unanimously.

II.                  Approve Minutes of December 10, 2013 Meeting

A motion by Morgan, seconded by VanHavel, to approve the minutes as submitted was approved unanimously.

III.                Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.31083.5)  

Cecilia Lak asked if the road closure had been held on December 21 as planned.  VanHavel explained that it had to be postponed due to weather and was held on December 28 instead.  A report appears under item VII(B).

IV.               Review of Financial Statements  

Morgan reviewed the financial statements for the month of December.  Total expenses were $7,879; income was $20,992.  The cash balance at the end of December was  $287,298.  Estimated expenses for January are $6,897. 

The complete financial statements are available on the association web site at http://www.vchpoa.org/Financials.shtml .

Morgan reported that $150,000 had been transferred to First Independent Bank to a new Reserve Savings account; $60,000 to City National Bank to a new Reserve Savings account; $10,000 to City National Bank to a new Operational Savings account; and $5,000 to City National Bank to a new Operational Checking account.

Morgan also reported that he had purchased a copy of QuickBooks software and a laptop at discounted prices from Office Depot as directed at the previous meeting.

Morgan announced that after a review of all applications the new bookkeeper hired is Tommy Sargent.

V.                 Committee Reports

A.     Architectural Committee

Chairman Bill Lewis reported that a set of plans was submitted that was not typical to the area that was not approved by the Architectural Committee. The owners and their architect were in attendance to present the project to the board for reconsideration.  The proposed residence is to be at 21430 Saddleback Rd. 

The project architect explained that the parcel is comprised of two consolidated lots that are very steep.  The aim was to limit the footprint on the property to reduce damage to the environment.  The inspiration for the project was old stamp mills in the area and the old castle at Austin, Nevada.  He stated that he had met with officials of the Storey County Building and Planning Departments and has a letter of preliminary approval of the design. 

Bill Lewis stated that the building code roof pitch regulations for elevations over 5000 feet are 6/12 and the plan does not meet that requirement.  The design has a lower story set below grade in the front with two stories above that.  The proposed siding is rusted corrugated metal siding and the proposed building has a flat roof.  It can’t meet both the height restrictions and the roof pitch requirements.  Lewis stated that setting precedence with this plan would open the door to many deviations to the requirements.

Rita Lumos read the requirements stated in the Architectural Guidelines for Architectural Style and Exterior Materials.  These are the guidelines that must be considered when either approving or refusing building plans.

The architect stated that they are planning a quality project and said that they meet the spirit of the guidelines if not the specifics. 

Tommy Sargent asked if this discussion is restricted to code issues or matters of esthetics.  He is troubled by the style restrictions. 

Jack McGuffey stated that he is not overly concerned with the rusted siding, but is concerned about the flat roof.  Many plans have been refused due to the roof pitch in the past. 

VanHavel stated that he agrees that independence of residents is important, but he has to think carefully about setting a precedent that opens the door to many variations from the guidelines. 

Morgan asked if a sloped roof would kill the project.  The architect answered that they would either have to get a variance for the height restriction or redesign the plans completely. 

Carmona asked the status of the project.  The applicants own the property, but no improvements have been made. 

Bill Lewis suggested that a meeting be set up between the building department, owners, and the board members so that all issues could be discussed at once.  No action was taken on the request at this time pending the proposed meeting.

B.      Road Report  

Carmona stated that he feels very comfortable with the status of the road crew.  Further repairs have been made to the 2001 Dodge, new tires and rims installed on the 2000 Dodge, and an appointment made for installation of new tires on the 2000 GMC.

Three new plow drivers have been hired.  They are John Senko, Bill Evans, and Giovanni Badalucco.  Training has been completed and schedules developed.

VI.               Unfinished Business

A.     MOU with Fire Department regarding Fire Suppression Efforts and Grants  

Jim Watson has resigned and was the liaison for the board on this project.  Carmona will contact Chief Hames to discuss what is necessary to reach the Memorandum of Understanding.

B.      Employee Job Applications

No further action is required on this subject.

VII.         Old Business

A.    Purchase of Printer

Due to the availability of a copier provided by the Fire Department, no printer will be purchased at this time.

B.    Road Closure Report

VanHavel reported that the road closure was done on Dec. 28 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.  Many residents purchased Highlands stickers for their vehicles.  The closure is held to maintain the status of the private roadways. 

Karlyn McPartlin stated that stop signs were needed and should be on hand for the next closure.  VanHavel stated that a document with an explanation of the closure should be developed that could be handed out during the closure.

Sheriff Jerry Antinoro said that there had been questions about the legality of the location of a closure on Lousetown since that is a public road.  He recommends that his office be called so that he can get a deputy out to assist in the future.  He encouraged the association to coordinate with the County on future closures.  He said that no formal complaints were received.

Commissioner Bill Sjovangen asked where the closure was held.  There were two locations, at the mailboxes and on Lousetown where the two entries merge.  Sjovangen said that he had met with the County Manager, DA, and Sheriff on this issue.  He stated that the DA doubts the closure is necessary.  He has asked DA Bill Maddox and County Manager Pat Whitten to prepare a resolution to be adopted by the Commissioners to set a Highlands Closure day and authorize stations at the south end of Lousetown and at the mailboxes.  He hopes to have it on the agenda in the next month or so.

McPartlin said that Maddox told her that there have been instances of folks claiming right-of-way due to long use.  Her understanding is that the closure is valuable even if not required by statute.

VanHavel stated that the volunteers emphasized to those they stopped while entering the area that they are not officials or law enforcement, but volunteers.

Sjovangen announced that he has put together a community grant program that will be on the Feb. 4 Commission Agenda.  The purpose is to provide funds to the four major population areas in the county.  These funds can be in lieu of park funds since the status of park impact funds is uncertain.  The respective associations will decide the use for the funds.  It will be cumulative over 3 years.  Sherry Nevin is new community services director and will be the contact for this program if approved. 

The use of the funds must be for the benefit of the community and for an appropriate use.

VIII.        New Business

A.   Appointment to Architectural Committee

No candidates have been identified to serve on the committee so no appointment was made.

IX.                Any Other Matters which the Board Members Wish to Discuss  

Carmona announced that Jim Watson has resigned from the board for business reasons.  VanHavel suggested that there should an item to appoint a replacement on the agenda for the next meeting.  He feels the board should appoint the person who garnered the next highest number of votes on the last ballot.

X.                  Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108.3(c))  

No comments were offered at this time.

XI.                Executive Session to Discuss Possible Violations of the CC&R’s, if Necessary  

No executive session was held.

XII.              Adjourn

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:13 pm.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Rita Lumos, Recording Secretary