Virginia City Highlands Property Owners' Association Annual Meeting-Saturday August, 29, 2015

Fire House Training Room-7:00 PM MINUTES

Present: Jay Carmona, Judy Cziprian, Karlyn McPartlin

 

I.          Call to Order, Declaration of a Quorum and Approval of Meeting Agenda (Discussion/Action)

 

II.         Introduction of Board Members, Architectural Committee and Road Crew

 

Carmona introduced the board members, Jay Carmona, Judy Cziprian, Karlyn McPartlin and new members Becky Alcon and Tony Dozen.

The Architectural Committee members are: Jay Carmona, Larry Cole, Dave Morland and Chuck Stutz

Road Crew members are: Doug Fontana, Jimmy Guthrie and Devon McPartlin.

 

III.Presentations of Invited Guests and Reports

 

Jack McGuffey reported on the various committees he serves on. He states that the Park Fund is undergoing another audit because our DA requested another look at the legalities of putting the interest earned over the years into the fund. The balance will be in the $40,000-$85,000 range. By the end of October the     audit should be finished. Concerning the Community Center, the Commissioners ask that we (the 2 associations) create a list        of what we want and drawings of the center itself.

The cell tower is finished and signing up companies. It should be up and running by the end of the year.

They are working on getting our zip code changed so that the tax monies collected by Washoe county can be put in our county instead.

 

Marshall McBride, Chairman of the Board of Commissioners stated that Sunny Hills is trying to develop the same area by TRI. The commissioners are trying to get the county to help to chip


coat and maintain Cartwright since the Fire Dept, Sheriffs office and the school buses use the road as part of doing their jobs.

He will report later on the progress.

 

Sheriff Jerry Antinoro gave us his report card for the past year. There has been 1684 total incidences in the past year. Response time to the Highlands is14 minutes. 89 citations have been issued but that includes anything on 341, not just in the Highlands. They have responded to complaints about speeding, especially through the mailboxes when children are present with speed traps. They will continue to do so. Now that the One Acre Association has changed the speed limit signs to 20 mph vs 15 mph they will now be able to patrol the dirt roads in the Highlands.

 

Jeff Nevins, Batallion Chief, Fire Dept

Stated that Gary Hames was ill so he was stepping in to give us a report. We have some units in other states helping out with the huge wildfires in those states.

He reminded everyone of the “you call-we haul” program. Any homeowner can call the Fire Dept. requesting a trailer. The Fire Dept will bring one out and when it is loaded they will

come back and get it, dump it and then return it again if needed. He encouraged everyone to sign up for the insurance program which will help pay for the helicopter and ambulance if

necessary. It is very inexpensive and covers your entire household. Our ISO rating remains at 3. The fuel reduction program has now started.

 

Austin Osborne, Planning Director talked about the Master Plan and explained the commercial plans recently discussed. He stated that he received a large amount of emails against the proposal and as such it has been dropped as a Master Plan addition. He reminded us that the Master Plan is put together  by the property owners and the government. If the property owners are against a proposal then it will not be included. If someone has an opinion, for or against, all emails, letters, phone calls or discussions with the Planning Dept are kept and used

as the decisions are made. He mentioned several projects such as a connector road between VC and TRI. Anything that might concern a citizen is open for discussion. He directed us to the web site under Planning to keep up with their ongoing changes


and improvements to the county.

 

Jay Carmona is the head of the Neighborhood Watch Program for the Highlands. He stated that it is not just for crime watch but welfare checks, horses in trouble and neighbor help.

He is asking for volunteers for this important program that benefits everyone in the Highlands.

 

Gwen Buck representing Fire Safe Highlands made a plea for more volunteers. This group helps the Fire Dept whenever needed.

The Fire Dept will come out and assess your property to make it fire safe. She also strongly recommended that everyone get

a green reflective address sign. They are able to be seen in thick smoke where a lot of other signs cannot. The applications can

be picked up at the Fire House. The Fire Dept will put them in for you.

 

Rene from VRWPA stated that they take care of the wild animals and the habitat. They responded to the foal that had a rope around    its neck and how they removed it. If a horse is in trouble please contact them and they will respond immediately. To remove a dead horse contact their hot line. He also discussed that a “fed horse is a dead horse.” Please do not feed them. You can give them water but no food of any kind. Call the Sheriffs office to report feeding.

 

III.   Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108.5)(Discussion Only)

 

Valerie LaBelle asked if the property fees for the I Acre that VRPWA owns can be waived. The board said that they have been waived in the past and see no reason to change it now.

 

IV.    Review of Financial Statements See New Business

V.   Unfinished Business

 

VI.   Committee Reports

A.   Architectural Committee (Discussion/Action)


None

 

B.    Road Report (Discussion/Action) None

C.    Park and Highlands Capital Fund Reported by Jack McGuffey earlier.

VII      New Business

 

Judy Cziprian presented the proposed budget for 2015-2016. Last years budget was $178,600 and the amount spent was

$175,243 leaving $3,357. The dues remain at $50/ lot and the assessment at $50/lot. Therefore the total owed per lot for 2016 will remain at $100/lot.

The new budget was put to vote and passed unanimously. The new budget for 2015-2016 is $174,100. The board will continue to spend the money with great care always keeping in mind that we represent the homeowner and the money that they pay each year into their Association

 

 

VIII    Any Other Matters which the Board Members Wish to Discussion (Discussion Only)

 

None

 

IX      Comments by Association Members (NRS 116.3108.5) (Discussion Only

 

None

 

X        Adjourn

 

With all business concluded the meeting was adjourned at 12:20 pm.